We were having a friend over to celebrate his birthday last night. I wanted to bake him a cake and he said his favorite was a cookie cake. So I started looking for a great recipe to try. I have made a cookie cake once before but it didn't turn out very well and I haven't tried it again since. The cake I made this weekend turned out AMAZING!!! We all were amazed at how delicious the cake and frosting was. I look forward to making this again soon! :)
Ingredients for Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 1/4 oz)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt**
- 8 oz unsalted butter (or use 4 oz butter and 1/2 cup shortening for 1 cup total)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 bag semi sweet regular
Directions for Cake:
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Line a 12 inch round pizza pan with a circle of parchment or non-stick foil. Alternatively, you can make your own pizza pan by molding non-stick foil into a giant 12 inch circle.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt together; set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars by hand or with an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. When well mixed, add flour mixture and stir until blended Fold in chocolate chips.
- Put all the batter in the pan and press it into a circle. Stop the circle about 1 ½ to 2 inches from the rim. Press M&M’s decoratively into top.
- Bake on center rack for 32-35 minutes or until cookie is golden around edges and appears set.
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 Tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Food coloring
Directions for Frosting: